The Ferry Plantation dates back to 1642 when the "ferry" service was started by Adam Thoroughgood to connect plantations by the waterway. The 3rd Princess Anne Courthousebuilt in 1735 including stock and pillory once stood on this site. The House that is visited today replaced the Walke Manor house that was built in 1740 and was later destroyed by fire. Ferry's dig site exposes the original brick floor. The good bricks salvaged from the ruins were used to build this 1830 dwelling. It is a ten room, central passage plan Federal farm house facing the Western Branch of the Lynnhaven River. Near this site was the famous trial of Virginia's only convicted witch, Grace Sherwood. Grace was tried by water in 1706. This property has a very rich past.
Hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays 10 a.m. -4p.m. (Last tour starts at 3:30 p.m.)