Purpose of the Web Site
It is the purpose of this City of Virginia Beach Web site, visitvirginiabeach.com, to provide accurate, non-editorial content and information about the functions, services, activities, issues, operations and projects of the City of Virginia Beach municipal government. When/where appropriate, the Web site will be used to facilitate the delivery of direct services provided by the Virginia Beach municipal government to its citizens and visitors. All Virginia Beach municipal government offices, departments, agencies, governing bodies, boards, and commissions are eligible to submit content or request the posting or hypertext linking to appropriate information to support their mission or service initiatives. Unless sponsored by an eligible user (as defined above), other individuals or groups are not eligible. All Internet posting requests must come from an eligible user. The City Webmaster, a member of the Department of Information Technology, is the public point of contact for all concerns regarding the City's Web presence. Comments about this site are welcome from any source and are always greatly appreciated.
Privacy & Security of Personal Information
The City of Virginia Beach utilizes information technology systems to provide its citizens with vital services. As reliance on the information created and stored by these systems increases, so does the City's responsibility to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of its computing infrastructure and its associated data. The safety and privacy of citizens within the City of Virginia Beach and City employees is impacted by the City's ability to maintain information security and privacy. City management recognizes and accepts the importance of information security and privacy as a critical element of the successful operation of the City of Virginia Beach.
The City has established an Information Security and Privacy Office (Info Sec Office). The purpose of the InfoSec Office is to (i) protect electronic data and the information technology infrastructure within the City through administrative, technical, and physical controls; (ii) provide advice and guidance to the City Manager and all levels of agency management on information security and privacy related matters; (iii) perform security audits and privacy impact assessments of City information technology programs and activities; and, (iv) working with affected stakeholders, provide alternatives and recommendations which balance cost, business needs, delivery of services, and security and privacy issues.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you visit visitvirginiabeach.com, we may store some or all of the following: the Internet address from which you accessed our site, date and time, the Internet address of the web site from which you linked to visitvirginiabeach.com, the name of the file or words you searched, items clicked on a page, and the browser and operating system used.
This information is used to measure the number of visitors to the various sections of our site and identify system performance or problem areas. We also use this information to help us develop the site, analyze patterns of usage, and to make the site more useful.
This information is not used for associating search terms or patterns of site navigation with individual users. visitvirginiabeach.com periodically deletes its Web logs.
Virginia Freedom of Information Act
The City of Virginia Beach, and public records held by the City of Virginia Beach, are subject to the disclosure provisions of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act. See Virginia Code §§ 2.2-3700 et seq.
Virginia Beach does not share any personally identifiable information or data collected through our Web site with unaffiliated third parties for their independent use, except if required to do so by the Virginia Freedom of Information Act or other law.
IP Addresses and Cookies
The security of the information you provide to the City of Virginia Beach is important to us. However, the City of Virginia Beach site includes links to other sites, and when you choose to visit those sites, we are not responsible for the privacy policies or how user information is utilized. In addition, we may permit third parties to offer registration-based services through our site. We are not responsible for the actions and policies of these third parties, and encourage individuals to review the privacy policies of these parties when supplying personally identifiable information to them.
Links To and From the City of Virginia Beach Web site
External links may be made to Web sites that meet the following criteria, as determined by the City Webmaster:
- Sites that are owned and managed by a state, local or federal governmental agency or local school board.
- Sites that are maintained by an organization that receives direct financial support from the City.
- Sites that have a direct contractual relationship with the City for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites that provide a unique online resource that will assist in the provision of services and/or information that compliment the purpose of the City's Web presence as outlined above.
External links will not be made to sites that fall within any of the following criteria, as determined by the City Webmaster:
- Sites that are owned or managed by a political party, candidate or special interest group or are of a political nature that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal.
- Sites that are owned, managed or provide content for commercial, non-profit, religious, community, civic or other organizations that do not have a direct contractual relationship with the City for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites containing any materials that may reasonably be considered scurrilous or offensive. Offensive materials are defined as sexual content or images, slurs against race, religious or political beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or physical attributes.
Links may be made to the City of Virginia Beach Web site with the express written (email) permission of the City Webmaster. Persons wishing to link to the City Web site may contact the City Webmaster for permission and linking procedures. When permission is received to link to the City's Web site, all hypertext links should be pointed to the City's homepage, visitvirginiabeach.com.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on the visitvirginiabeach.com website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. VBgov provides these links and pointers solely for our users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside website, they are leaving the VBgov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside website. The City of Virginia Beach does not:
- control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the owner of such copyrighted materials.
- be held responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.
- guarantee that outside websites comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (accessibility requirements).
The City of Virginia Beach welcomes your comments at visitvirginiabeach.com. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns; but please note this is a moderated online discussion site and not a public forum. You may submit content to certain sections of our sites provided you do so in accordance with the Posting Guidelines below. However, you may not submit content if you are under the age of 13. By submitting content to any of our sites, you represent that you are age 13 or over. We do not discriminate against any views, but reserve the right to delete submissions that contain any of the following:
- Comments unrelated to the topic
- Solicitations or advertisements of any kind that are not officially sponsored or endorsed by the City of Virginia Beach
- Nudity or pornography
- Profanity or vulgar language
- Sexual overtone or innuendo
- Personal attacks, hostility, threats or violence against any person or group; libelous, harassing or abusive statements
- Attacks on ethnic, racial, gender or religious groups
- Posting someone else’s personal information such as home address or phone number without their written consent
- Spam including solicitations, advertisements, and or endorsements of any financial, commercial, non-profit, or political entity
- Comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity
- Repetitive posts copied and pasted by multiple users
- Posts by persons who are impersonating city officials or using false identities
- Information harmful to children or of a nature to frighten children, either emotionally or physically
- Cruelty to animals
- Information affiliated with or promoting political campaigns
We recognize that the Web is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage resources, moderating and posting of comments should only be expected during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.).
Please note that the user comments expressed on this site do not reflect the opinions and position of the City of Virginia Beach municipal government or its officers and employees. If you have questions concerning the operation of this or other online discussions, please contact the City Web Master (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Maps & GIS Data
The Center for GIS (CGIS) manages the core Geospatial Information Systems (GIS). It is a member division in the Information Technology Department (IT). The primary role is to support City GIS operations and spatial information needs.
The digital data provided by the Center for GIS is not the official recorded plat for any piece of property. All official plats are recorded and stored by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
The GIS data is available on the Internet is provided "as is" and the City of Virginia Beach expressly disclaims all warranties, UCC, and otherwise, express or implied including particular purpose, and further expressly disclaims responsibility for all incidental, consequential or special damages arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of the data.
In regard to data usage, the undersigned requester acknowledges the disclaimer of warranty and waives all warranties expressed or implied and waives any right of claim for damages incidental, consequential or special, arising out of or in connection with the use of performance of the data.
Multimedia (Photos, Audio and Video)
visitvirginiabeach.com has a wealth of multimedia content available for review. The posted media is copyrighted and owned by the City of Virginia Beach and may not be downloaded, copied, or linked to without the express written permission of the City. Any media displayed by or linked from visitvirginiabeach.com that was not created by the City of Virginia Beach has been used with permission from the copyright holder.
Electronic payment transactions are allowed only where there are technological and other safeguards in place to protect financial or other sensitive data.
The City of Virginia Beach maintains a presence on social media sites (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) in order to share government information and engage with the public; we do not collect any Personally Identifiable Information through those sites. We also do not use personal information made available by the user to these third-party sites.
The City may collect and store information for statistical purposes. For example, the City may count the number of users to the different sections of the Site to help make those sections more useful to users. Please review the statistics page for more information.
Online Assistance is the application that the City of Virginia Beach uses to provide real-time customer service to our Web site visitors. The Online Assistance service automatically collects a user's IP address, browser type, date and time of the visit, the referring webpage and transcripts of each session. The City of Virginia Beach uses these items to provide a more thorough and efficient response to customer service inquiries and to collect statistical information regarding the usefulness of the application. Additionally, users also have the option to voluntarily provide feedback regarding the application and the service they received in the form of an exit survey. Virginia Beach does not share any personally identifiable information or data collected through this service with unaffiliated third parties for their independent use, except if required to do so by the Virginia Freedom of Information Act or other law.
The official language used for the content of the City of Virginia Beach’s Web site is English. A free translation service provided by Google® is available through the links provided that offer immediate translation of our Web pages using Google's software.
Computerized translations are only an approximation of the Web site's original content. The translation should not be considered exact and in some cases may include incorrect or offensive language. The City of Virginia Beach does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information translated by this system. In addition, some applications, files or items cannot be translated including graphs, photos or portable document formats (pdfs).
The City of Virginia Beach does not endorse the use of the Google® translation site; other translation services may be used to view our site. Any person or entities that rely on information obtained from the system does so at his or her own risk.
Public Utilities eBill Unsubscribe Information
Virginia Beach Public Utilities offers eBilling services for water, sewer, storm water and solid waste collection charges. This is an optional service that customers may subscribe to by supplying their account number and email address. Click here to review eBill Terms and Conditions
You may unsubscribe from eBill service by clicking on the ‘Return to paper statements’ link in all eBill email communications or submitting an unsubscribe form. Please note, it may take up to 24 hours to process the request.Once you unsubscribe, you will revert to receiving a paper statement in the mail.
Should you have any questions regarding eBill, please email eBill.email@example.com.
Acceptance of Terms
The City of Virginia Beach makes available for your use on this Web site information and documents subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this document (the "VBgov Web Site Policy"). By accessing this Site, you agree to the VBgov Web Site Policy. The City of Virginia Beach reserves the right to change the VBgov Web Site Policy at its sole discretion. Your use of the Site will be subject to the most current version of the VBgov Web Site Policy posted on the Site at the time of such use. In addition, when using particular Services or Materials on this Site, you are subject to any posted guidelines or rules applicable to such Services or Materials that contain terms and conditions in addition to those in the VBgov Web Site Policy. All such guidelines or rules are hereby incorporated by reference into the VBgov Web Site Policy. You may use this Web site only if you agree to these terms:
- You agree that you will not violate (or attempt to violate) the security of this Web site by hacking, sending viruses, or any other similar malicious or careless conduct.
- You agree that you will not utilize the communication methods found within the Web site for the communication of any material that may reasonably be considered scurrilous or offensive. Offensive materials are defined as sexual content or images, slurs against race, religious or political beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or physical attributes.
- You agree not to upload (or attempt to upload) content of any type to this Web site.
- You acknowledge that you have no right to the intellectual property associated with this Web site and that you have only a limited right to use this Web site.
- You acknowledge that the City does not warrant the accuracy or availability of this Web site.
- You acknowledge that the City is not responsible for any loss, damage, or injury that you may have as a result of your use of this Web site.
- You agree to be bound by the laws applicable in Virginia Beach with respect to your use of the Web site and you agree that any court proceedings relating to your use of the Web site will take place in the Judicial District of Virginia Beach or the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Norfolk Division.
- You agree to grant the City all intellectual property rights in the content of any e-mail that you send to the City.
- You acknowledge that the City does not warrant the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any web site content translated by third party systems.
If you do not AGREE to ALL of these terms, please log off of this Web site immediately.