For our final couples’ weekend itinerary series, we are exploring our favorite places in VB for those looking to make history together. As the landing site for our country’s first English settlers, and located only about an hour away from the Historic Triangle of Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg, the foundations of our country began right here. With a multitude of historic sites, here are our favorite ways for couples to spend a weekend together paying tribute to the past.
- Begin your weekend together in Virginia Beach the right way: by retracing the steps of our forefathers at First Landing State Park.
- Check out the First Landing Cross, which commemorates the landing, after which the settlers erected a cross on the beach.
- Climb the 191 steps of the historic Cape Henry Lighthouse, the first lighthouse authorized by the U.S. Government in 1792. The climb may be hard, but the view you will share at the top is worth it.
- Spend the rest of the afternoon exploring some of VB’s most historic homes, including the Thoroughgood House, Francis Land House, Adam Keeling House and the Lynnhaven House.
- Grab a some beers at Commonwealth Brewing Company, an old firehouse-turned-brewery. With a rotating food truck lineup, get a bite to eat while you’re at it.
- Top the evening off with a sunset walk along the Chesapeake Bay where, legend has it, Blackbeard buried his plundered treasure before fleeing incoming Navy ships!
- Fuel your day at Doc Taylor’s restaurant at the oceanfront. The old seaside cottage, once a doctor’s office, is cranking out delicious diner-style breakfast favorites that will get your day started off on the right foot.
- Let your breakfast settle as you explore the resort area’s most historic buildings, the Virginia Beach Surf and Rescue Museum, the Atlantic Wildfowl Museum and the “Grand Dame of the Shore,” the Cavalier Hotel.
- For lunch, experience a local delicacy that was a favorite of Captain John Smith. Stop by Rockafeller’s at the Rudee Inlet for a plate of juicy oysters, prepared in a variety of ways for a palette of all persuasions.
- After lunch, make your way down to Pungo for a beacon of aviation history at the renowned Military Aviation Museum. Take in the largest private collection of WWI and WWII-era planes that have all been incredibly restored to flying condition. Top it all off with a romantic plane ride together aboard a restored open-air biplane.
- Finish the weekend with dinner for two and a few glasses of wine at The Landing restaurant. It may not be a landmark of American history, but it will certainly be a night to remember.
The rich history that lies within our coastal city makes for the perfect place to experience many of our country’s beginnings with the one you love, where it all began, right here in VB. Let the exploration begin!